Thursday, October 7, 2010

Jerry W. Tate




On September 24th Erin gave birth to our first son, Jerry Wells Tate. He will go by "Wells". Becoming a dad to a son has led me to spend countless hours over the past two weeks reflecting on my own father, "Jerry Wayne Tate." The two Jerry's already have a great deal in common; same name, similar hair cut, occasional gas problems, dramatic mood swings when hungry, unexpected naps, ect.

I hope my little Jerry will experience all the blessings from me that I experienced from my dad, Big Jerry, growing up. I remember having my manhood tested at the young age of three when my dad would wrestle with me on the floor. I remember the proud look on his face when I made a great catch in backyard footall. I remember laughing hysterically when he read Patrick Mcmanus stories to me before bed. I remember him fixing my fishing pole while I'd use his (and quickly break it as well). I remember the smell of his coffee as we would drive to our favorite fishing hole in the dark. I remember his smiling face on August 14th, 2004, as Erin and I exchanged wedding vows. Consistent, reliable, honorable. These words describe my dad. He taught me what it means to be a man.

My dad left me a hard act to follow, but I think Wells will be extremely blessed if I can be half the dad to him as Big Jerry has been to me. Many theologians recognize a dad's unique role in shapping our conception of God as a Father to us. My earthly father has helped me believe in the reality of the heavenly Father described in Scripture. Jerry Tate made the idea of an all loving, patient, consistent, reliable, and forgiving heavenly Father, believable to me. Thank you dad. I love you. Alaska 2016 (you, me, and Wells). It's on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jerm and Erin,
I can't tell you how proud I am of you and your beautiful family. Congratulations to all of you on the birth of "Little Jerry" ( aka Wells).
Wells, Grace, and Karis are very very blessed children to have you.
My love to all of you.
Aunt Lynnie